Support for young carers
You may find that you have more responsibilities around the house than other children of your age and this can feel stressful or overwhelming at times. Sometimes you may feel under pressure to take time off school to help around the house or you may not have time to go out with your friends, do homework or play.
Many young carers find it difficult to talk about being a carer. They worry that people will think they aren't coping or that their family will be split up if they don't carry on with their caring role. But there are organisations to help and support you, so you can balance your responsibilities with your personal life and not miss out on things.
What some young carers might do
Young carers may do a variety of things for the relative like:
- Helping with personal care
- Paying bills
- Cheering someone up
- Checking medication
- Interpreting for the person cared for
Being a young carer can be hard and can cause a young person to feel that they don't have enough time for homework, socialising with friends or doing fun things. They may get tired or frustrated and feel that nobody listens to them or knows about them.
Rochdale Young Carers Service is a support service for 5 to 18 year olds who are caring for or helping to care for a parent or relative with an illness or disability and their families.
Rochdale Young Carers Service
- Visit families at home to discuss their situation
- Carry out a young carer's assessment to help work out together with the young carer and their family what support is needed
- Help with any problems at school
- Help you get in touch with services
- Advocate on behalf of the young carer and their family
- Provide confidential counselling
- Provide group and individual work with children
- Provide activity sessions with young people to give them a break and have fun
How to get support
The young carer can request a young carer's assessment, or a professional such as a GP, Child Care Service or Education can ask on their behalf so long as this is agreed with them in advance.
If you would like more information about Rochdale Young Carers, please contact:
Rochdale Young Carers
Unique Enterprise Centre
Tel: 01706 515 740
Website: Rochdale Young Carers
Open times: Monday-Friday, 9.30am-12.30pm & 1.30pm-5.00pm