Paying for care in residential care and nursing homes

How much will I have to pay for residential care?

If you have to go into a residential care or nursing home, the cost will be one of the things that concerns you most. There are a number of care homes in the borough and they all charge different amounts, depending on the facilities they provide and the amount of care you need. Search for local residential care and nursing homes by visiting the Our Rochdale service directory

National guidance states that everyone has to pay something towards their stay. How much that is will depend on your personal circumstances and we'll look at your finances with you, to help work this out.

What if I'm only going in for a short stay?

If your stay is not expected to last for more than 28 days, there's a fixed weekly charge, depending on your age.

Will I pay for my nursing care?

Help towards the cost of nursing home care is provided in part by the NHS  and maybe in part by the council.

Everyone assessed as requiring a nursing home to meet their nursing needs is entitled to a weekly contribution from the NHS regardless of their income or savings. This is paid directly to the nursing home.

You may be entitled to financial support from the council to cover some of the remaining cost if you're assessed as requiring a nursing home. You'll get help to fill out a financial assessment form to see if you qualify for financial help.

How can I request help from the council with the costs?

If you're not already receiving care from the council, you'll first need to have a care and support assessment. To establish whether you qualify for financial help you'll need to complete a financial assessment form. We'll meet with you to help you do this.

We have to take into account your income, including most benefits.

We don't count the following as part of your income:
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance

We also take into account any savings and assets you may have. This includes capital assets, which usually includes the value of your home.

If your savings and assets are over £23,250 you'll have to pay the full cost of your stay in the home.

Any savings and assets between £14,250 and £23,250 will be taken into account when we work out how much you'll have to contribute.

Please note that the financial assessment and contribution applies to the person who will receive the service.

Request a care and support assessment

More about paying for residential care

What if I own a property?

To help work out how much you have to pay towards care home fees, we'll carry out a financial assessment, taking into account how much income you get and what capital you have. Any property you own will normally be included as one of your capital assets.

Deferred payments

If the value of your home is more than £23.250 you may not have to sell your home now to pay the fees. We offer a Deferred Payment Scheme which could mean we can pay for your care cost until you your property is sold.

Top-up fees for residential care

If you are thinking of moving into a residential or nursing home you will need to be aware that some providers charge top-up fees. Paying a top-up fee could increase your choice of accommodation.

What happens to my benefits?

When you move into a care home, most of the pension and benefit income you receive won't change and it will be taken into account when we assess how much you'll need to contribute towards the cost of your residential and nursing care. There are, however, some exceptions.