Getting an advocate to speak on my behalf

What is an advocate?

An advocate is someone who will express your views and wishes, secure your rights and represent your interests. Advocacy safeguards people who are vulnerable by speaking up for them. It enables people with physical or learning disabilities, older people and those with mental health needs to make informed choices and decisions about their own health and social care.

Advocacy helps you to access information and services, and to explore choices and options. An advocate is independent of social services and the NHS and they are not part of your family or one of your friends. They act only according to your wishes. They don't try to influence you to make a different choice.

What does an advocate do?

An advocate's role includes putting your case forward when you need it and making sure the correct procedures are followed by your health and social care services.

An advocate might help you access the information you need or go with you to meetings or interviews in a supportive role. You may want your advocate to write letters on your behalf or speak for you in situations where you don't feel you're able to speak for yourself.

How can I get an advocate?

There are a number of local organisations you can contact to request an independent advocate - please see below.

We don't provide advocacy services but we must consult with an Independent Mental Capacity Advocate (IMCA) when making decisions for a person who lacks mental capacity. Rochdale MIND provides this service on behalf of the council.

Self advocacy

Self advocacy means communicating your views and wishes yourself or in a group.  You can have support to do this.

Local organisation providing advocates and self advocacy help

Advocacy Together Hub
Address: 144 Drake Street, Rochdale, OL16 1PS
Tel: 01706 641389