Independent Financial Advice

Should I get independent financial advice?

How much a person contributes is determined by a financial assessment, where a member of the Council's Assessment and Benefits Team takes into consideration the person's income, such as a pension, their savings, and also any assets they might own, such as property.

There are several ways to pay for care. For example, people who have moved into residential care can, if they're eligible, have a deferred payments agreement which means they don't have to sell their home to fund their care until they choose to do so.

How you choose to pay towards the cost of your care depends on your personal circumstances and choice. But, as the population ages, more people will need some form of support or care and they'll want to plan how to fund this.

Some people find it helpful to speak to a professional about their finances. If you'd like to speak to someone about what choices are available to you, there are plenty of sources of financial advice, including charities and independent financial advisors (IFAs). Sometimes you may have to pay a fee for advice.

We're unable to offer advice or recommend which organisations or IFAs people should approach.

More information:

These organisations offer guidance on how to find advice:

How can I arrange for my own care and support?

If you're not eligible for support from the council, or don't want to have a care assessment or financial assessment, you can visit Our Rochdale service directory for advice on how to make your own arrangements and to view Adult Cares preferred providers.  

Our Rochdale service directory