Home Improvement Agency (HIA)

The Home Improvement Agency (HIA) provides a range of practical help and support to enable elderly, vulnerable and disabled people to live independently within their own homes.

The HIA provide:

  • The community alarm system known as Careline
  • Minor adaptations, for example external hand rails or step alterations
  • Major adaptations, for example a stair lift or adapting your bathroom 

Careline Service

The Careline service is available for all Rochdale Borough residents. Here are a few examples why you should consider having the Careline service:

  • you have reduced mobility
  • you have regular falls or have become at risk of falls
  • you live alone
  • you want to remain living independently in your own home.
The Careline service can be used in times where a call for help is required, for example:

  • If you have fallen and cannot get back up
  • If you have become unwell and require medical attention
With the Careline service you can be assessed by Adult Care staff to see if you would also benefit from a range of Assistive Technology which can be linked to the Careline service, for example:

  • Falls detector
  • Door sensors
  • Bed sensors
  • Chair sensors
Careline is a chargeable service, to learn more about the Careline service and the charging structure please see guide to Peace of mind at home: A guide to Careline and Assistive Technology (2MB pdf).

Alternatively you can read more about the Careline service by visiting the below link to the Our Rochdale service directory.
Our Rochdale Service Directory - Careline Service Information


The HIA work in partnership with:

  • Occupational Therapists
  • Occupational Therapists Assistants
  • Social Workers
  • Support Planners
  • Care Navigators
  • Health Care professionals
  • Housing organisations
The HIA can provide the following support or equipment for people who have been assessed by one of the above professionals as needing:

  • Minor adaptations to your property, such as providing external hand rails or step alterations
  • Major adaptations to your property, such as ramped access, installing a stairlift or adapting your bathroom or any other room in your property to meet a disability need
If the property you live in is owned by someone else, permission to carry out the work will need to be obtained.

If it has been identified during your assessment with the Occupational Therapist that a major adaption to your property is needed you will be able to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG) which will be discussed during the assessment.

If you would like to request an assessment by Adult Care for an adaptation, to your property to meet your disability need, you can complete the online form Explore your care and support needs.

Alternatively you can contact Adult Care Monday - Friday 8:30am - 4:45pm:
Tel: 0300 303 8886
Email: adult.care@rochdale.gov.uk

The HIA have produced a Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG) and Associated Assistance Policy which you can view by following the link below:
Disabled Facilities Grants and Associated Assistance